We Can Help Crash Survivors and Their Families
Bicycle accidents can lead to serious, life-altering injuries or death. Unlike motorists driving a traditional vehicle, cyclists have very little to no protection from the impact forces caused by a crash. It is not uncommon for bicycle accident survivors to suffer traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries or fatal injuries. However, motorists have a duty to care for other motorists, pedestrians and bicyclists. If a motorist violated this duty of care and you suffered injuries as a result, then you should reach out to a Santa Rosa bicycle accident attorney. You may have legal options to hold the motorist accountable.
Santa Rosa personal injury attorney Brian Flahavan has extensive experience helping people seek compensation for serious injuries. You can learn more about prior victories and settlements on our website.
Common Bicycle Accident Injuries
As we state above, bicycle accident injuries are much more likely to be life-threatening or catastrophic. Possible bicycle accident injuries include:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs). Concussions or more serious TBIs are possible following a bicycle accident. TBIs can affect movement, cognition and behavior.
- Spinal cord injuries. Due to bicyclists having little protection, spinal cord injuries are a possible outcome following a cycling accident. Survivors may suffer from partial or total paralysis in one or more limbs.
- Broken bones. The impact forces from hitting an object, such as a car door or another vehicle, can lead to fractures and broken bones.
- PTSD (Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder): Psychological injuries are possible after any type of accident, including a bicycle accident resulting in physical injuries.
- Disfigurement. Facial bones can break and fracture during a collision. Some accident survivors may suffer from permanent disfigurement.
Some of the injuries listed above can cause a person to suffer millions of dollars in damages. For this reason, it is advisable to contact a bicycle accident attorney as soon as possible following an accident.
Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in California
Motorists are a common cause of bicycle accidents. There are many different ways motorists could force a collision with cyclists. Common causes of bicycle accidents in California include:
- Inattention. Driver inattention is a leading cause of bicycle accidents. For example, a motorist may not check his or her rear-view mirror while making a turn.
- Distracted driving. Motorists can hit cyclists while texting behind the wheel. Eating or grooming behind the wheel can also be distracting.
- Dangerous driving. Some motorists are aggressive. They simply do not like sharing the road with cyclists and may drive aggressively. Unfortunately, aggressive driving and road rage can very easily force a collision.
- Impaired driving. Another form of dangerous driving, impaired driving can affect a motorist’s motor skills, reaction time and judgment. Motorists under the influence of prescription drugs, cannabis or alcohol are more likely to cause accidents.
- Defects. Motorists are not the only cause of bicycle accidents. Consumer products can contain manufacturing or design defects. These defects can affect the safety of a bicycle or safety equipment. Structural defects on roads and sidewalks can also cause accidents.
Can I File a Lawsuit for a Bicycle Accident?
If you are able to do so after your bicycle accident, you should speak with an attorney about filing a claim. A bicycle accident attorney can help you review your options for filing an injury claim or lawsuit. Additionally, an attorney can help you with the settlement negotiation process, or if necessary, take your case before a jury trial.
Whether you should file a lawsuit really comes down to the circumstances of what happened and the severity of your injuries. If your injuries are very minor and unlikely to affect your personal or professional life, then taking additional legal action may be unnecessary. Although, you could and should file a claim if there was property damage.
Filing a lawsuit can help you in a number of ways. First and most importantly, it can help you obtain compensation for medical bills, rehabilitation expenses, in-home care and home modifications. You may also be able to recover non-economic damages, also called pain and suffering damages.
Whether you can file a lawsuit depends on the circumstances. You would have to be within the statute of limitations. Additionally, you and your attorney must demonstrate the other party’s negligence or recklessness.
Schedule a free initial consultation about your case by calling Attorney Brian Flahavan at (707) 414-0119, or contact him online.
Over 20 Years of Experience Serving Sonoma County
Personalized Approach to Each Case
100% Focused on Civil Litigation Cases
Tens of Millions of Dollars Recovered on Behalf of Clients
Brian Flahavan Founding Attorney
With over 20 years of experience and a track record of outstanding results, you can count on our firm to help you get the best possible outcome for you and your family. We will take a tailored approach to your case, keeping you informed along the way while fighting for the compensation you need and deserve.
$10,000,000Judgement for sexual harassment and assault at restaurant in Tiburon, California.
$7,000,000Wrongful death and injury claims stemming from a fire in Mendocino County, California.
$3 Million $3,000,000Auto v. Motorcycle injury claim including union worker in Sonoma County, California.
$1,100,000Dog bite from neighbor’s dog resulting in foot and ankle injuries and surgery.
$1 Million $1,000,000Truck v. Bicycle accident resulting in multiple fractures and abrasions in Stockton, California.
$525,000Loading dock accident resulting in broken arm in Santa Rosa, California.
$500 Thousand $500,000Auto accident resulting in spine injuries in Cotati, California.
$475,000Trip and fall case when cable television installers failed to mark hole in ground in Rohnert Park, California.
$465 Thousand $465,000Auto accident caused by Disability Transportation Services vehicle resulting in back and neck injuries to passenger.
$423,000injury from defective ladder causing injury to a thumb and need for surgery in Petaluma, California.