When you're involved in a car accident, the last thing you want to deal with is an insurance company trying to deny your claim. Unfortunately, this is becoming increasingly common as insurance companies look to social media in their investigations.
Insurance Companies Use Social Media Against You
If you post about your accident on social media, the insurance company may use your posts against you in several ways. For example, they may try to:
- Prove You Were At-Fault - Insurance companies may search your social media profiles to find evidence that you may have been at-fault for the car accident. For example, if you post about how you were "speeding and lost control" of your car, the insurance company will likely use this against you in their investigation. They may also try to find if you posted anything on social media during the moments leading up to the collision.
- Refute Severity of Injuries - They may also try to downplay the seriousness of your injuries by looking for posts of you engaging in any activity that makes it seem like you are not as injured as you claim.
What Not to Post Online About Your Accident
It's not uncommon for people to want to share information about their lives online, but there are some things that you should avoid posting about after a car accident. Since insurance companies and opposing counsel will be looking for anything they can use against you, it is essential to know what not to post online after a car accident. Here are some things you should avoid posting about after a car accident:
- Do not post anything about the accident itself.
- Do not post anything about your injuries.
- Do not post anything about your medical treatment.
- Do not post anything negative about the other driver.
Following these simple tips, you can avoid posting anything online that could be used against you after a car accident. Remember, your social media can be used against you, so you must be careful about what you post online. If you have any questions about what you should or should not post online after a car accident, contact an experienced personal injury attorney for advice.
Car Accident Attorney in Sonoma County
After a car accident, it is essential to consult with an experienced personal injury attorney to discuss your legal options and ensure that your rights are protected. The skilled and dedicated team at Flahavan Law Offices has the experience and knowledge necessary to help you obtain the total and fair compensation you deserve. We will thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident, gather all relevant evidence, and aggressively negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf.
If you have been involved in a car accident, call us today at (707) 414-0119 or fill out our form online for a free consultation.